Thursday, June 8, 2017

I'm Back...And I Have A Good Tip

Hello Blog Land,

Yes, I've been away for quite some time! Life got crazy on us, and my blog was the first thing to get neglected.  Many things were neglected, but my blog was the first to go. So sorry to the one person that reads it! :) I'm back, well at least for today, and I have a great tip to share with you!

I have a love/hate relationship with egg salad.  It is my absolute favorite sandwich in the whole world!  I LOVE to eat it, but I HATE to make it...until today!! I have searched the internet high and low for the perfect method to boiling eggs.  I thought I had found it in Martha Stewart's tried and true method.  It took A SWEET FOREVER for that water to boil...seriously like a 45 minute process. That is not going to happen again.  The peeling process took almost as long, and was a MESS. Therein lies my hate part of the relationship.

Today I went on an internet search again, and God bless Pioneer Woman...she wins the prize for the best boiling and peeling method all in one shot.  I believe she found the method from another blog, so I will send you there if you'd like to be privy to this marvelous method...seriously, under a half hour for whole process.  I'm smiling...are you? :)  Go here to find the instructions!

I did exactly what the instructions told me to do, and I have the most perfect egg salad chilling in my refrigerator right now! :) Life is good! Here's a picture!



I'm having a sandwich for dinner tonight because we are all feeling a bit wonky, and are not in the mood for a big supper.  This will be perfect on a lettuce wrap!

So, I'll tell you what I did. I put my pot of water on to boil, and when it was nice and bubbly, I used this mesh basket thingy to gently put the eggs into the water. A dozen...because I love me some egg salad!



I turned the heat down to just a simmer with gentle bubbles.  I let those eggs cook for 13 minutes. Then I took the mesh thingy and dumped the eggs into a nice ice bath in this very large bowl.



Just 5 minutes later, I dumped the ice bath and brought my eggs to the table. I set out a cutting board, a small bowl with water, my egg slicer, and another bowl to put sliced eggs in.

  



I removed one egg at a time from the big white bowl, rolled it all over the hard surface of my table to crack the shells, and those shells peeled off with NO problem.  They peeled in two big pieces, and no egg came off in the process.  I then dipped the egg in the bowl of water to remove any shell pieces, and then sliced the egg two ways.  I plunked each sliced egg into the blue bowl, mixed in my mayo, and I have egg salad!  I love the slivered egg instead of big dices too! 

My egg salad is chilling in the refrigerator right now, and soon I will make a sandwich.  I LOVE chilled egg salad.  It just tastes better that way to me.  My son is not enjoying the smell, but I don't care. Egg salad is my favorite! Now I can whip up a batch in no time!

Want to know what I've been up to in the near two years since you've heard from me, reader? I graduated two kids from high school! Woohoo! I successfully home schooled them with the help of a wonderful virtual academy near our home.  My son graduated Magna Cum Laude last year, and my daughter just graduated Summa Cum Laude last week! I'm done! They're on their own for college!

That's all I have time for right now! I hope to check in more often, and fill you in on life here with my people.  Make my day and leave a comment! Let me know if you try this great egg boiling/peeling method.  Sorry Martha, but Ree's method is much faster and easier!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love me some egg salad, too. No pickle relish, please! Just eggs and mayo and a bit of salt. Thanks for the post. Ree is so smart, I'm going to have to give this a try. The wire thingy looks like a strainer to me. :)