Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Trip to the Hospital…and More Food!

My sweet mom “failed” a stress test at the cardiologist’s office this week, so she was scheduled for a heart catheterization the next morning.  She was so scared, and worried that the cath wouldn’t be the answer and she’d have to have bypass surgery.  Her heart has not been in very good shape, and because of that, she has not been able to have knee replacement surgery she desperately needs.

The heart cath was done yesterday, and the doctor was able to use a new trans-radial approach.  Normally the catheter goes in through the groin, and after the procedure you have to lie very still on your back for HOURS.  The trans-radial goes through your wrist, and is so much better for the patient.  My mom only needed to keep her arm still, and did not have to spend the night in the hospital. 

The procedure went really well, and mom is doing great.  The doctor was able to repair the blocked artery with a balloon, as opposed to a stent, and said her heart is fine and she can have her knee surgery.  I got to whisper that in her ear as she was coming out of her sedation, and she got the sweetest groggy grin on her face. :)  She will be so glad to have that done.

I saw her today, and she is looking great.  She gave us the fixins’ for a turkey dinner tonight, including my favorite….turnip!

February 2, 2012 013

Mom instructed me on how to cook it, and I can’t wait to try it.  I’m the only one here that likes them, so I’ll be having some for lunch tomorrow.  It’s great with a little butter and sea salt on it! Yum!!

I was browsing my favorite cooking blogs and came across these wonderful cookies for Valentine’s Day.  I am not a fan of Oreos, but these homemade strawberry Oreos look great!  I found them at Six Sisters Stuff, and can’t wait to make them with Morgan sometime next week.  Ah, who am I kidding?  I can’t wait to EAT them! :) Don’t they look yummy?

Strawberry Valentine Oreo Cookies

In addition to my favorite recipe blogs, I also find a lot of great ideas on Pinterest, and Punchfork.com.  Not many people know about Punchfork.  It is very similar to Pinterest, except it is ALL recipes.  You can type in a dish, and TONS of recipes will pop up for it.  I really like that site.

I’ll be back with more fun food ideas soon! 

No comments: