Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Let’s Lighten Up…

Things got a little deep and a bit sad around here for a couple posts, so let’s lighten up a bit, shall we? I got through one of the toughest weeks of my year once again by the grace of God…so that called for a yummy dessert.

Oh yes it did!

A few months ago I came across a recipe called Lemon Delight.  It called for a lemon crème pie filling made by Comstock (really yummy pie fillings).  When I put the dessert on my menu plan and went to shop for the ingredients, do you think I could find lemon crème pie filling? No I could not! So I substituted regular lemon pie filling, and the recipe turned out great, and was DELICIOUS!

SUPER DELICIOUS! Smile

The dessert was so good that I thought I’d make it again, this time with the correct pie filling.  Again, I couldn’t find it.  But…I saw key lime crème pie filling.  We LURVE key lime pie at our house, so I was thinking that might taste pretty good.  I bought the pie filling, and the other day my sweet girl and I made that dessert together.  It was INCREDIBLE.  I’m not kidding when I say that.  It was sincerely VERY good, and I don’t think I’ll bother to look for the lemon crème again.  I like the key lime crème much better!

The crust of this dessert is one of the best parts of it.  You mix butter, flour, and crushed pecans together, and press it into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  You bake it until golden brown, and when it has cooled you add the layers of filling.  We finish ours off with a dollop of whipped cream, and we are in heaven!

Here is a picture of our finished dessert! Isn’t it pretty and refreshing looking?

IMG_4518

Want the recipe? Ask and you shall receive…you’re welcome!

Ingredients:

Crust:
3/4 cup butter softened 1 stick + 4 tbsp
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup chopped pecan

Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 (8-ounce) container whipped topping (I used Cool Whip – GASP!)
1 (21-ounce) can Comstock Key Lime Crème pie filling
1 can whipped cream

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare shortbread crust by adding the butter and flour to a bowl and blend using a large fork or pasty blender. Add chopped pecans and mix. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. When done remove from oven and let cool. While the crust is cooling prepare the filling. Mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar together using an electric mixer. Fold in the whipped topping (cool whip) into the cream cheese mixture. When the crust is completely cooled add the cream cheese filling on top of the crust and spread evenly. Top with lemon creme and refrigerate for at least 4 - 6 hours (I could not wait this long…2 hours tops). Garnish with Reddi-Whip before serving.

If you try it, come back and tell me! We loved this dessert so much!

No comments: